Episode 56: A Good Walled Garden

Android vs iOS, turning users into contributors, and good vs bad in the world.

00:00:29 #AskError: What Linux-related opinion makes you completely disregard anything that person says?
00:03:10 iOS vs Android
00:15:35 How do we turn more users into contributors?
00:30:45 Is there more good or bad in the world?

@popey depending on your version of Android, double tapping the square brings you back to your previous app. The back button send to behave differently depending on various apps but the square always does the most recent.

@joeressington @DanRabbit With the idea of paying for things, I think you all did a good job at getting at the complexity of the issue. I enjoyed the conversation about the niches with in the Linux community and “normal users”. Even though normal users have subscriptions, there are still limitations to what they are willing to spend. For example, people share Netflix, Hulu and HBO accounts all the time to save money. They want the service but typically the trade-off occurs between users in the form of sharing creditials to another service. End users benefit while companies miss out on possible revenue. Netflix tries to limit this with their screen limitation and upgrades while other companies like Google now offer more expensive “family” accounts. I think there is a big difference between software for entertainment vs software for function. Just something I wanted to mention.

Also, I started using Linux because I was broke and needed something windows like for free. It was only after the fact that I learned about the philosophy and got energized about the open source movement and Linux as a platform. As I grew up and had more disposable income, I was weary about giving a person or company financial information. I am glad that there are viable options for that now but also share your frustrations.

@popey I agree that only certain types of users should be encouraged to contribute back. I think it was your podcast it maybe LNL that did a contribution challenge to see how you could give back and also explained to listeners how to get started. It would be nice if more of that was publicize and maybe even something in the Welcome menu of MATE to show interested people how they can continue based on their skill set .

Love the show! It really makes me think more deeply on these topics, keep up the awesome work!

I really enjoyed the discussion on the definition of contribution. In my early days of using Linux, I very happily purchased box sets of Mandrake and SUSE. I didn’t go to Linux because it was “Free”, I went to Linux because it was better for me. I currently contribute to some projects financially and in my time and talents but I often feel like I don’t contribute enough. My favorite project, openSUSE, doesn’t allow for me to financially contribute to that project so my only option is to contribute in helping with documentation and “advocating”. Maybe they don’t need the financial bit, so I contribute to the KDE Project annually. I really liked the idea of different organizations banning together and use the Gnome Software and KDE Discover to contribute toward more projects financially, even if there was an easy way to “tip” the project, that would be fantastic.

The story that I think gets lost, even within me, is what Linux DOES for the greater community. By that, I mean, how Linux and the open source projects (or should I say GNU/LInux @popey :wink: ) have really helped me in life, I mean TRULY helped me in life, not by just solving “First World Problems” but really making it possible for me to be a single father, for me to have a good paying job and to have a hobby that I truly enjoy that gives my life more meaning. I think what is often lost is that Linux is NOT just an operating system, it is an enabling tool that increases quality of life and I can’t give any one project out there what the true monetary value of that is. Even though none of you directly contribute or even care about openSUSE, I know that your contributions to anything related does, you inspire and motivate. So thank you for directly or indirectly helping to improve the quality of life, not just for me but for thousands or perhaps millions of others.