When will Joe switch to iOS, then?

Listening to the very interesting discussion about Android vs iOS left me wondering if, when Joe’s OP3T goes south, he’ll get an iPhone.

To be honest, I totally take sides with those who care about the fact that Android may have an open source base, but, apart from that, it’s totally proprietary. I really don’t see how it’s the lesser of two evils.

Actually, after some time going back and forth, I ended up picking an iPhone. It’s not just Google Apps/Play/whatever-nonsensical-name-that-thing-uses-to-conceal-its-real-purpose: Android is very invasive in every sense, like when it asks what I thought about the coffee I have taken because it knows I’ve been to said coffee shop…

But using Linux on the desktop and using iOS as a mobile phone has a major annoiance: even though Dan has a point in saying nobody connects their phone to their computer in 2019, getting the pictures taken with my iPhone into my computer to archive, back them up or even process them is a major pain about which I don’t have yet an at least passable solution.

Someone surely will say “No biggie, I just use Google Photos and download them on my Linux box”… Well, well…

1. Google Photos decreases quality - ok, can use the HD/whatever mode that takes space, which I imagine doesn’t decrease quality;
  2. upload to a remote server on the phone and download on the computer when both devices are in the same room?! Really?!?!?
  3. So I move to iOS to avoid Google’s prying eyes just to end up uploading something as personal as my pictures to Google’s AI to index them?? By the way, their auto-indexing/organizer is way better than any other one I’ve used.

Getting back to the “lesser of two evils” thing, it seems to me that at the moment Apple is the lesser of two evils, since I think the world now needs more privacy than software freedom, as freedom in the larger sense depends more on the former than the latter. IMHO, everyone who uses an Apple device because of privacy matters - as is my case - should make this public in order to make other companies realize people care about this, turning it into an incentive for them to respect users’ privacy more.

I think it will be a long time before I switch. You never know though…

Since you answered it yourself, one further question: if Apple didn’t charge so much, would you?

I understand an answer from you means an answer from someone who flashes a custom ROM, but even so.

If anyone has a suggestion on how to transfer photos from iOS to a Linux computer, I’m all ears.

I think they’d have to drop their prices significantly before I would even consider it. I will have a go at retrieving photos from the iPad I’ve borrowed. If I have any luck I’ll let you know.

Or we all will be squeezed between Apple’s pricing and the other manufacturers’, as OnePlus, for instance, is pushing its prices up with every new iteration of their so-called flagship killers.

Eager to know if you find a way into the photos thing. There’s an App called PhotoBackup (https://itunes.apple.com/br/app/photobackup-backup-photos-and-videos-via-rsync/id945026388?mt=8), but it’s been rather spotty IME.

I upload phone pics to a self hosted NextCloud, which syncs back down to my local Linux machines. My NextCloud is on a VPS, but could just as easily be on the LAN (in fact, I’ve done that too, running on my FreeNAS).

Oh, yes, I’ve tried it in the past, using a local NC instance on a Raspberry Pi, but photo upload was a bit glitchy, some photos wouldn’t get uploaded, took ages to go and so on. Maybe things have improved. I’ll definitely try it again. Thanks for the suggestion!

I’ve never run a NC instance on a Pi, but I wonder if your upload issues could have been related to lack of system resources?

That said, I also experienced intermittent upload failures in the past, although think that was probably related to an old Android device I was using, in addition to patchy WIFI connectivity at the time. Seems to have been more reliable lately - still get the odd failure, but again I think that’s more likely to be network/mobile device related, rather than the NC server. I just select to re-try any failed uploads from the NC app when done and that completes the transfer.

If only given the choice between iCloud and Google Photos, I’d go iCloud for privacy/security reasons. But, unless I’m missing something, bulk downloading from iCloud Photos isn’t possible (a ‘lock in’ tactic, no doubt).

Likewise, given Android’s vulnerability history and abysmal security patch availability from device vendors, I feel Apple is the only viable option for my next phone, as I have neither the time nor patience to sod about loading alternative Android ROMs whilst hoping the project/device support sticks around for a few years. You can pick up a refurb iPhone 7 for the same money as new mid-range Android device, and that will likely go on receiving updates for longer than the brand new Android (as well being a more secure platform from the get-go). Call me paranoid Android, but there’s no way in hell I’d want to be storing my email or other private account credentials on an Android device.

I have run NextCloud on a Pi. Specifically on the NextCloud box from WD Labs. It was quite slow at anything file related, which is basically everything :). I decommissioned it, and it’s now in the loft.

IIRC, Pis have the NIC and USB sharing the same controller, so I guess that could be a bit of a throughput bottleneck if you’re passing any significant over USB at the same time as it’s handling incoming network traffic, such as in the case of receiving file uploads whilst simultaneously saving the data to an attached external storage device. I’d assume the WD labs box was using USB to connect to storage?

Yeah, USB 2 attached SATA disk. It was just a bit too slow to be usable for me.

Well, probably that’s why I ran into so many syncing issues then. I’ll try to create an instance on a desktop computer I have here that is not being heavily used.

Interested to hear how you get on with that, hope it works out well! :+1:

I certainly wouldn’t blame him if he did.

I would absolutely fall over myself with joy if I could have the same level of applications that exist on my iPad on a device that ran Linux, but sadly I don’t see it happening :frowning:

And for phones, I want to treat it like an appliance. They may be the evil empire, but Apple is very good at making appliances :slight_smile: